Lamed - Kav Mashuch


This is a great initiative! To kick it off, here's a shaila I sent a number of years ago.

Answer I received was that since there's a little blita at the top of the Lamed and since it widens at the top it can be considered Safek Kav Mashuch and fixed.

It was of interest to me as it taught me that R' Shtern in Mishnat HaSofer (a big reference source for me) is quite machmir regarding kav mashuch and that taking into account other poskim we can rely on saying that kav mashuch is really fully pasul when it's a straight line like a stick, not a diamond shape with a bend.

May I also suggest that each person who posts add their location and credentials, just makes this correspondence easier!

Kol Tuv,

Ari Posner
Qualified Sofer STa"M and Magiha
Ba'al Keri'ah
Perth, Western Australia
www.klstam.com

Comments

  1. Ari, I see Rabbi Moshe Weiner beat me to it, but I think it is definitely able to be fixed (by adding ink).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gevald! that mezuzah doesn't look too good even without the lamed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ink, Kosher vs. non-Kosher

The forum is back online...for reference and research purposes.