Ink that reappears!

I have an interesting reoccuring problem. Every time I have to do a Mechika, although I use a #10 blade, an ink eraser, and sand paper, and it comes out perfectly white at that moment, the very next day, everything that was erased reappears as a shadowy image of all those letters. I know this has to do with some chemical reaction; I just don't know what to do to avoid this happening other then erasing the first time like I always do and then putting the sta''m aside until the next day and then erasing it again after it reappears, leaving it completely white as I want it. This is very impractical when trying to complete a pair of Tefillin. By the way, the ink I use is Nahari. If anyone has any advice, I'd be very grateful.

Comments

  1. What klaf are you using?

    What kind of "ink eraser"? The yellow eraser made for erasing Rapidograph ink (http://bit.ly/tjmkV8) has chemicals in it to dissolve the ink — it may be reacting with the klaf

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Klaff is from Rosman.I don't always use an ink eraser.I started hoping the problem would be resolved.It's a Berol Klenzo #534T.It's light green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Klaff is from Rosman.I don't always use an ink eraser.I started hoping the problem would be resolved.It's a Berol Klenzo #534T.It's light green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have the exact same problem with and without the eraser then it's probably not the eraser…

    It could be a problem with the combination of that particular ink and klaf. Did you try to contact the klaf manufacturer? They should be able to advise you — they may recommend a different ink. Even if they have no concrete advice, they should be alerted about the issue. They could try to recreate the problem and work towards a solution.

    Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I contacted the Klaff manufacturer today. He has not heard of this problem before ( and it seems like no one either on this blog). He said he would discuss it with other customers to see if they have this problem. He advised me to scrape deeper into the Klaff. P.S. He himself is not a Sofer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ink, Kosher vs. non-Kosher

The forum is back online...for reference and research purposes.