Duchsustus?



I just got klaf for a new 11 line megilla and on the yeriah I was working on today, I came across this stuff which I'm not sure what it is. Im thinking it is Duchsustus, but since this is my first time with this sort of thing I'm unsure. It peels off with a knife just like the MB says, but it is VEINY, or it is shaped like veins. It is also whiter slightly than the rest of the klaf. I also have this yellow strip on the bottom corner of the klaf which peels off by hand and I think it might be Ducsustus but it is different than the "veiny" stuff.

Another question is what happens in the case a letter or part of one is written on this on a megilla, is in different than Tefillin since Megilla doesn;t have to be written on klaf?

If someone could please help me out with their opinion I would appreciate it!



Comments

  1. It's difficult to see from a picture if what you have there is Duchsustus, but the yellow strip on the bottom corner definitely looks like tape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MAybe just a general description of what Duchsustus looks like these days if it is too hard to tell..

    ReplyDelete
  3. All these look good - Michoel is right - the middle picture is yellow drafting tape used to hold the klaf down at some point.

    It is uncommon to find duchsustus clinging to klaf nowadays, but one should be on guard for it in any case. It is a very dark yellow to dark orange, crinkly, and is not enmeshed in the fiber of the klaf as much as the normal veineition (like in picture #1 above).

    If you find it, you can pick it off with a needle and then sand the area underneath with 220 grit sandpaper or finer to make it write-able.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much R Bloomenstiel that was very helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ink, Kosher vs. non-Kosher

The forum is back online...for reference and research purposes.