handy info

Below is a handy guide which I find useful when quoting on nach and megillos:




Standard Amount of Parchment for Megillos and Sifrei Nach based on the Ben Osher Tikun Megillah/Sefer Number of 42-line columns


Number of parchment sections required


Sefer Torah


245


65


Megillot:


Megillat Esther

10

3

Megillat Ruth

4

1

Megillat Echah

6

2

Megillat Kohelet

9

3

Megillat Shir HaShirim

4

1

Totals


33


10


Sifrei Nach:


Yehoshua

31

8

Shofetim

31

8

Shmu'el I & II

75

19

Melachim I & II

78

20

Yeshayahu

53

14

Yirmeyahu

69

18

Yehezqel

59

15

Trei Asar:
Hoshea, Yo'el, Amos, Ovadya, Yona, Micha, Nachum, Habakuk, Zefanya, Haggay, Zecharya, Mal'achi
46

12

Totals


442


114


Grand Totals


720


189


Additional Megillot / Nach:


Tehillim

72

18

Mishlei

47

12

Iyov

Varies

Varies

Daniel

Varies

Varies

Ezra - Nehemiah

47

12

Divrei Hayamim

Varies

Varies

Comments

  1. An excellent chart!

    I’m pretty sure a 245 amud Sefer Torah is only 62 yeri’os. I usually write Sifrei Torah using the 248 amud tikun (the writing is a bit less crowded), and it calls for 63 yeri’os.

    p.s. I’ve seen Sifrei Tehilim on klaf, but I’ve never seen any of the other “additional” seforim... Is there really a market for them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought a 245 omud sefer was 62 yeriyos. Someone emailed me this because I asked him how many amudim a megillas eicha is. I have no idea who wrote it

    ReplyDelete
  3. 245 amudim/62 yerios

    I think Eicha is 5 or 6 depending on whether it's Berdichev or Ben Asher tikkun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My yeshiva has an old tikkun for Eicha at 5 very crowded amudim.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ink, Kosher vs. non-Kosher

The forum is back online...for reference and research purposes.