kulmus hashamir

Rabbi's your opinions please! http://or-lasofer.com/12231_(309).jpg

Comments

  1. Does it work with Dyo Lanetzach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.I have no idea. didn't use it, my question is, if it is worth to spend a 200$ on it?
    2. does anyone knows a US source for nahari ink?(talas are out of order)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try R. Shmuel Traube @ Bais HaStam in Brooklyn, NY. I always get my Nahari ink from him.
    R. Shmuel is a forum member and may be reached @ 718-437-0927

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can this instrument replicate and retain the sharpness of a freshly cut kulmus ? If yes, I can see it being successful. If not, it will probably still be beneficial for use in repairing old sifrei torah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tried the Kulmus Hashamir and loved it! (I try to test anything sta"m as soon as I hear of it, because the questions start coming in whenever something new arrives)
    it handles the dyo better than plastic or any kind of metal), and "almost" has flexibility.


    That said, I am obligated to reiterate what I always say in theses cases- that learning to make and use a feather kulmus properly- is well worth the effort, and will eventually provide nicer ktav and more pleasurable writing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The kulmus shamir is likely to break over time. I had only heard of it some months ago and have 2 sofrim who use it and during this time both of their's broke, making for a costly replacement.

    I've also found that these sofrim have difficulty making solid, black tagin and oktzim, possibly because the ink doesn't flow off the corner as well as a traditional kulmus because it lacks the give of a feather?

    While it's preferable to barzel and according to some/many (A question I'm looking into) stainless and the Shevet Halevi permits it's use (as well as plastic) for those having trouble with a feather, the traditional feather remains the preferred writing instrument.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ink, Kosher vs. non-Kosher

The forum is back online...for reference and research purposes.