Two interesting letters

Here are two interesting situations that I came across recently that I am not completely sure what to do with.

The thing that bothers me about this Ayin is that the line that points up at the bottom of the letter is almost like an additional Eiver to the letter that shouldn't be there. I think it is Kosher anyway, or at least can be fixed by adding ink. What do you think?


This one bothers me more. The question I have is, at what point does a Reish become a straight or diagonal line? If it would be bent at the proper angle, the halacha is that the regel only needs to be "Kmlo Yud" to be Kosher Bedieved, but I am concerned that in this case it is not enough due to the angle of the bend. The tinok reads it correctly, but I am still leaning to say it's passul. 



Comments

  1. I think the reish is fine. It has a very large upper right radius but it also has 2+ kulmusim of a gag and at least a kulmus of a vertical regel - even though it's not clearly defined, to me it looks passable.

    I'll post a photo what I mean in a subsequent post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not pass the reish
    the regel needs a melo os ketana which according to mishna brura is yud plus regel,now if you cover the left side of reish you will bearly have a kosher yud- so the regel for sure does not have a melo os ketana

    ReplyDelete
  3. R Shtern in Mishnat hasofer is matir just a regel yud for ot Ketana in accordance with mikdash me'at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've asked about worse Ayin's than this. I was concerned that they were Shins! Rav Friedlander was machshir.

    With regards to the Reish, I posted Ravi Friedlander's comment in the later post about this and will repeat it here. He said, "It's was a banana". (not a Reish)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ink, Kosher vs. non-Kosher

The forum is back online...for reference and research purposes.