Tav or Peh? and what's with the KHAF?



Here is a TAV that has a longer right foot and a shorter left foot than what it should be.  As such, it may resemble a Peh Peshutah with an inverted nose.  This is why our Hakhamim always impress us to make the right foot a bit shorter than the left.

The above letter must be shown to a Tinok, and the right foot shortened if read like a TAV.  If the child reads it like a PEH PESHUTA, then its PESSULA.

As per the KHAF, it looks like a cursive BET.   I believe that there is room to be lenient and not invalidate it right off the bat, as the letter appears more like a KHAF in the original smaller Ketav.

Your input is however requested.  Should it be shown to a Tinok, and fixed if read properly; or do we say that it has lost its shape and de-facto invalidate it?  I'd very much appreciate your response.


Comments

  1. Both good shailos however I think the tof will not be judged fairly by a tinok since the head is inverted if it is to be a pay, and a child may therefore not recognize it as such, even though halachah does

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would passel the tav. the caf shaylas tinok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would the Caf pass as a Gimmel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Khaf, because of its width, even though it shares some similitude on its bottom right with a Gimmel would never pass for it.

      Delete
  4. my first impression was the chaf is a gimel,I am not even sure a tinok would help since it has all the limbs of a gimel if its wide so its a wide gimel

    ReplyDelete
  5. my first impression was the chaf is a gimel,I am not even sure a tinok would help since it has all the limbs of a gimel if its wide so its a wide gimel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Rabbi Traube. I'd have asked Rav Friedlander and not have made a decision on my own to ask a tinok.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ink, Kosher vs. non-Kosher

The forum is back online...for reference and research purposes.